[Tweeters] My Adventures In Time Travel

Jeff Gibson gibsondesign15 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 21:51:13 PDT 2019

I've just traveled 50 years into the future - and it turned out pretty good.

Now, I've watched enough TeeVee and studied enough Science (fiction) that I understand just how dangerous Time travel can be. Like how about your spaceship making a wrong turn into a wormhole and coming out in the Booger Nebula and it's gonna take you 500 years to Pick your way through it, so you'll have to be put into sleep mode. Or how about going back in time to try to fix everything that's gonna screw up the future and you wind up making things even worse. I've seen it happen.

As for me I used the old time-tested technique of just getting older, slower but fraught with danger. In fact most of us are damn lucky to make it to be older despite the complications this could bring.

You see, 50 years ago or so when I was 14 or 15 we used to go camping at Fort Flagler. The three things I remember most from those trips in the off-season were Grand firs, Fairy Shrimp, and Evergreen sedge, which may seem an odd combination of memories but I was nature freak even back then. The trees were tall it seemed even then - I’ve always loved Grand firs. As for fairy shrimp they are kind of cool ancient crustacean that only lives in seasonal
Ponds of which there're many at Fort Flagler (and around greater Port Townsend area). They have evolved to survive in these ponds that dry up in the summer where fish can't survive. Fairy shrimp despite having 11 pairs of legs
move sort of slowly yet gracefully. Their eggs can survive Summer drought. On my first trip out fort Flagler in January it was still fairly warm for the month but there was skin of the ice on the ponds and I couldn't see the shrimp.
Later last weird winter, the water was covered with pollen and I still couldn't see into the water. But I'm sure they're in there.

The story with the Evergreen sedge is that it frequently Lines these seasonal pools-Beautiful green foliage in the winter. I've planted some in my old yard in Everett and it makes a beautiful “ornamental" grass.

So 50 years later all three players were still there though I didn’t actually see shrimp. The really cool thing was the trees 50 years older and getting pretty big. Along one of the old roads I came across big Doug fir about 36 +inches in
diameter and about 117( years old (I counted the rings) which would've been right when the road was built according to the historians at the Fort. In the past 50 years it put on about a foot more in diameter. The forest at Fort Flagler it Is quite diverse and Worth many more explorations. It's sort of funny how all the forts around here have turned into nice habitat under protection.Some big trees in there.

I really liked Bud Anderson's Post back in March about what has happened to the Kent Valley since the 60s. I remember it a bit myself-Asian farmers in Coolie hats working in the farm fields. As Bud said "I seldom hear about this massive loss of precious habitat anymore. But some of us still remember it as it was, a local treasure to be mourned”. I'm a fellow mourner, better to mourn than to Forget. Hell, we may even learn something, and many of us have.
Teach on!

Jeff Gibson
Still learning around
Port Townsend Wa