[Tweeters] Fir Island Red-Shouldered Hawk

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 5 18:02:37 PDT 2019

Dear Tweeters,
Today (fifth of October 2019) there was a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK at the Jensen Access on Fir Island, Skagit County! This bird was out of its expected habitat. It was the first bird I saw when I got to the site at 1505. First the bird coursed westwards over the dike, right over where I would have been standing, if I had arrived five minutes earlier. Then it turned around and flew right back over the dike, out over the field to the east. Soon it was escorted out of Jensen Access airspace by some American Pipits. Catching a thermal, the raptor quickly rose up over the Hayton Reserve, then disappeared to the east.
There was also a Marbled Godwit at Jensen, perhaps one of the ones from yesterday.
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch