[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 10/2/19

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 14:48:44 PDT 2019

Tweets,

Today 25 of us enjoyed a great walk at Nisqually. It was 36 degrees
and sunny at 8:00 am when we met at the visitor center. We had a 13.3
high tide at 9:15 so there was lots of mud on the falling tide when we
got to the reclamation area.

At the visitor center we had MALLARDS, HOODED MERGANSER, WOOD DUCK,
and WILSON'S SNIPE.

The orchard was really hopping with BUSHTITS, RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER,
both CHICKADEES, ROBINS, PILIATED WOODPECKER, DOWNEY WOODPECKER, as
well as both KINGLETS.

We had more of the same along the boardwalk and added CEDAR WAXWING,
BEWICK'S WREN, MARSH WREN, and WESTERN TANAGER.

It was pretty quiet at the twin barns overlook, but got active again
out on the estuary dike. An AMERICAN KESTRAL was chasing WESTERN
MEADOWLARKS and there were lots of shorebirds in the area. We had
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, GREATER YELLOWLEGS, WHIMBREL, and WESTERN and
LEAST SANDPIPERS.

We also saw BALD EAGLE, NORTHERN HARRIER, RED-TAILED HAWK, and heard
RED-SHOULDERED HAWK.

For the day I had 48 species and now have 118 for the year. Shep's
ebird report will have all the details of what the group saw that I
missed.

Mammals seen included CHIPMONK, GRAY SQUIRREL, and BLACK-TAILED DEER.

Until next time...

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA