[Tweeters] Discovery Park (Seattle)

pan panmail at mailfence.com
Tue Oct 1 18:04:56 PDT 2019

Tweets,

Today was another great migration day at Discovery Park. Early, lots of robins, Varied Thrushes, waxwings, sparrows, and such, three chasing Cooper's Hawks, Merlin, but nothing unusual. At West Point, four Bonaparte's Gulls joined one of the feeding aggregations, then we were surprised to see a Clark's Grebe fairly close, diving a lot, moving south against the falling tide. One Common Loon, one Pacific, one passing female Harlequin's Duck, Peregrine Falcon. Back up the hill, at Utah wetland, one of the Fox Sparrows (many singing today) had lots of extra white feathers on the back, rump, head, and wing coverts (continuing? seems I read some report of such recently). Nearly back at the south parking lot, a Townsend's Solitaire was flying south with robins, landed for a scope view , then flew, disappearing behind a tall tree -- perhaps making a hard turn east into the neighborhood. I sat with a view east from bird alley (west end of the south meadow) to eat lunch, and had an unexpected hawk watch: Red-tailed Hawk, Northern Harrier, a couple Vaux's Swifts (thought I may have had one earlier), then the shocker, a Red-shouldered Hawk, slowly eastbound, stopping to circle to gain altitude before moving on, northeast, then probably south-ish, again disappearing behind tall trees.

Oh, and Purple Finch eating snowberries. (I've seen towhees and Golden-crowned Sparrows eating them this season, too, though chipmunks do seem most appreciative.)

1 October, 2019,

Alan Grenon
Seattle