[Tweeters] Nesting Black-throated Gray Warbler—Olympia

HAL MICHAEL ucd880 at comcast.net
Thu May 30 07:21:36 PDT 2019

Lots of mammals are shedding now. The light color of those, and the length, suggest dog. We have a chickadee nest with human hair woven in.

Back when we raised fryer chickens the local Tree Swallows used lots of white feathers for their nests. They had a affinity for white feathers and supplied a bunch.

Long time ago we raised Zebra Finches in an outdoor aviary, in Sequim. They nested all through the winter. Nests were built in those little woven balls available at pet shops. Ours used duck feathers (body particularly, and down) that I tossed in. During cold spells the female would pull feathers in front of the opening, essentially making a down-lined ball to incubate in.

Hal Michael
Science Outreach Director, Sustainable Fisheries Foundation
Olympia WA
360-459-4005
360-791-7702 (C)
ucd880 at comcast.net