[Tweeters] Anna's Hummingbird behavior question

Marcy D'Addio marcydaddio89 at gmail.com
Mon May 27 20:01:18 PDT 2019

A friend is observing a female Anna's Hummingbird eat/collect remainders
from drywall that was cut in her backyard late last summer. Is the bird
eating this as a calcium supplement or for some other reason? She did it
earlier in the spring, too.
In my on-line searches I saw information about sulphur compounds in some
drywall. There were some articles about captive parrots eating drywall so
the owners were cautioned to supervise and discourage this.
Does anyone have experience or info? I will share with my friend.
Thank you, Marcy D'Addio
Redmond, WA