Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu May 23 12:48:17 PDT 2019

Tweets – we had a very pleasant day today, under sunny skies that stayed pleasantly cool without every being cold. The dawn chorus was very loud before 5:00 a.m., with many SWAINSON’S THRUSHES singing, along with Robins, Black-headed Grosbeaks, Spotted Towhees, and many other species. I’m a bit concerned by low numbers of many species that should be more common now, but we had some really nice birds today, and some great looks.

Highlights:
a.. Wood Duck – several seen, including 5 drakes at the Rowing Club
b.. BLUE-WINGED TEAL – pair at weir; first for us in 2019
c.. VIRGINIA RAIL – two seen on far side of slough, just a little south of the Dog Area
d.. CASPIAN TERN – two flying north at 5:30 a.m. – first for 2019
e.. BARN OWL – Matt heard babies in the windmill, and had an adult enter
f.. WESTERN SCREECH-OWL – There is at least 1 juvenile, east end of the boardwalk
g.. WILLOW FLYCATCHER – one seen singing, east of the East Meadow – new for 2019
h.. Purple Martin – very active at the four gourds, using at least 3 of them
i.. Bullock’s Oriole – maybe as many as 5; nice looks
j.. Orange-crowned Warbler – 2 heard
k.. Yellow Warbler – only 4-5 heard, one seen
l.. Yellow-rumped Warbler – at least 1 heard near mansion
m.. TOWNSEND’S WARBLER – male singing in Big Cottonwood Forest – first for 2019
n.. Wilson’s Warbler – two heard
o.. Western Tanager – male singing on west side of the slough
p.. LAZULI BUNTING – male singing in Snag Row; first for 2019. Great looks.
Misses today included Gadwall, Rock Pigeon (seen yesterday), Green Heron, Belted Kingfisher (might have heard once), and Red-breasted Sapsucker.

While we had a good count of species (67 species), there were very few of some birds I would think would be more common. We had only 1 Western Wood-Pewee, and one Willow Flycatcher; just two flycatchers seems very low for late May. Two Warbling Vireo also seems scant, as does a single Barn Swallow. Marsh Wrens have been very hard to come by, with only 1 heard today. And while we had six species of warbler, leaving out Common Yellowthroat, there were less than a dozen individual birds combined. I’ll have to do a comparison to previous years soon.

Still, a really good day.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com