[Tweeters] County Yearlist Project end-April update available at WA Birder

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Tue May 21 05:37:10 PDT 2019

Hi Tweeters & Inland NW Birders

An updated version of the 2019 County Yearlist Project is up and available at Washington Birder. We've updated all most counties as of the end of April. Thanks to everyone who has contributed by sending county compilers their sightings &/or posting on eBird.

At this point in the year, with migrants and summer breeders just arriving back, it can be difficult to put too much stock in ’trends’ — some years birds will show up a little earlier or later — the mid-year check-in will be better for looking at trends — nevertheless, here’s what we’ve got:

Statewide, 330 species were reported, two better than last year’s 328. We recorded 284 species in Western WA, and 274 in Eastern WA. That’s two lower in the west and four higher in the east. The state total was tied for the highest in the last 7 years of reports, and the Eastern WA total was the highest for the same period. But the Western WA total was the lowest of the last 7.

21 counties have reported higher species counts this year compared with last year. 18 have lower totals this year. 18 counties have totals within ten of last year’s total, as with previous years — that’s fewer counties close to the previous year’s total than at most of our check-ins - a sign that this particular check-in is one of the more variable ones.

If you'd like to take a look at where things stand, the list and many other interesting files are at the Washington Birder website:

http://www.wabirder.com/ <http://www.wabirder.com/>

A direct link to the 2019 county yearlist & the list of county compilers contact info:
http://www.wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html <http://www.wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html>

Thanks to all the compilers and all those pitching in to sketch a picture of another year's birds in WA.

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA