[Tweeters] Skagit Pine Grosbeak, 3-toed, Wilson's Phalarope

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sun May 19 20:55:34 PDT 2019

Dear Tweeters,
Today (the 19th of May), Mike Nelson and I saw an American Three-toed Woodpecker on the Easy Pass Trail, about 0.75 miles up from the parking area. There was a section of trail with many blow-downs, but after that, easy going up the trail. I put a bit of pink ribbon on a twig near the woodpecker site. This bird was drumming more loudly than I have ever heard a woodpecker drum. There must have been something special in the acoustics of the tall, pole-like snag, on the very top of which the woodpecker drummed. The snag is visible from near the ribbon spot--it is on the other (western) side of the trail.
Just a few minutes down the trail from there, we saw a pair of Pine Grosbeaks.
We dashed down to the coast to try for shorebirds at Hayton Reserve. Yesterday's Ruddy Turnstone and Red Knot were nowhere to be seen, but we did see a Wilson's Phalarope.
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch