Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu May 16 21:05:39 PDT 2019

Tweets – we were under the fog today, which made it dark and damp and quiet. Really quiet. Not much in the ways of highlights. Very unfortunate that we weren’t out yesterday, which was much birdier. I was only there briefly yesterday afternoon at a meeting and then trying to verify a report of a possible Townsend’s Solitaire (can’t confirm or deny), but I heard a YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT in the willows along the east edge of the East Meadow. Unfortunately, my phone croaked yesterday, and I could neither try to call the bird out into view, nor post to Tweeters. Today, there was no sign of either bird.

Today’s highlights:
a.. Bufflehead – lone female at the Rowing Club pond. There are very few records this late
b.. Spotted Sandpiper – at least 3 below the weir
c.. Cooper’s (?) Hawk – largish juvenile accipiter flew off too soon for positive ID, but probably Coop
d.. Hairy Woodpecker – brought food to the nest
e.. Pileated Woodpecker – removed fecal sack from the nest. Both these nests are close together in the Big Cottonwood Forest
f.. SWAINSON’S THRUSH – we finally got them for the survey; last week the were “might-have-been-heard” only
SWAINSON’S THRUSH was the only new species for the day. Yesterday’s YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT was only the 3rd Marymoor record, the others being from mid-July and early September.

We had 58 species today. Yesterday, I had RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER and WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE, both missed today, besides the chat.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com