[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagles Pride Golf Course monthly bird walk - 5-16-2019

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Thu May 16 19:00:46 PDT 2019

Tweeters,

For a day that was supposed to shower briefly and not start until about 11am, it didn't work out that way: It started raining heavily at about 7:50am, then tailed off slightly until just about when the 11 of us finished at 11:40am. Temp was mild at 52degF-56degF, with (thankfully) none-to-very-light breeze. Highlights of the 55 species we tallied include a PIED-BILLED GREBE with at least 2 young on its back; excellent views of a MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER; a very cooperative HERMIT WARBLER singing at a spot we've not had one before; several VAUX'S SWIFTS; and four HOUSE WRENS, one of which is occupying a territory that we've had one for the past four Spring seasons (near the maintenance area). We'll have to wait until next month to see if this latter wren will nest in the light as it's done previously.

The JBLM Eagles Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM. Starting point is Bldg # 1514, Driving Range Tee, Eagles Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. Upcoming walks include the following:

* June 20

* July 18

* August 15

Anyone is welcome to join us!

>From the eBird checklist...

55 species

Wood Duck 2 Hodge Lake

Mallard 15 At Hodge Lake - female with 12 very small ducklings

Hooded Merganser 1 Maintenance pond

Pied-billed Grebe 4 Pair at Hodge Lake with at least two young riding on adult's back

Band-tailed Pigeon 6

Mourning Dove 2

Vaux's Swift 5

Anna's Hummingbird 3

Rufous Hummingbird 5

Bald Eagle 1

Red-tailed Hawk 1 On nest at Hodge Lake

Northern Flicker 4

Olive-sided Flycatcher 3

Western Wood-Pewee 7

Pacific-slope Flycatcher 5

Steller's Jay 3

American Crow 3

Common Raven 1

Northern Rough-winged Swallow 2 Hodge Lake

Tree Swallow 2

Violet-green Swallow 8

Barn Swallow 32

Black-capped Chickadee 9