[Tweeters] Yellow grosbeak?

Joshua Glant josh.n.glant at gmail.com
Thu May 16 18:42:14 PDT 2019

Hi Josh,

Besides a tentative record from Iowa in the ‘80s, that I remember reading about but for which I can find no reference, there are no accepted records of Yellow Grosbeak north of New Mexico. As such, I would probably rule out that species and start with some local choices. If it was a female grosbeak that you saw, Black-headed is the first choice to consider, as they are a common summer resident in our area. As for an all-yellow bird, have you considered a male American Goldfinch? Size can sometimes be hard to discern in the field, and a bright yellow bird with black wings and a conical bill might just fit the ‘bill’, so to speak.

Good birding, Joshua Glant
Mercer Island, WA