[Tweeters] NIsqually NWR 5/15/19

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed May 15 15:27:59 PDT 2019

Tweets,

Today 25 of us enjoyed a good walk at Nisqually. Migration is in full
swing and we picked up a few more FOY birds. We had a 1.9 low tide at
10:15 so there was lots of mud out in the reclamation area.

Highlights included BULLOCK'S ORIOLE, WILLOW FLYCATCHER, and
BLUE-WINGED TEAL. YELLOW WARBLERS and COMMON YELLOWTHROAT seemed to
be everywhere and we also had ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS and WILSON'S
WARBLERS and WARBLING VIREO in several locations.

Waterfowl are way down but we did have a three teal day with
GREEN-WINGED and CINNAMON TEAL also being sighted. the BLUE-WINGED
TEAL flew into the marsh inside the estuary dike and didn't show
itself much.

The BULLOCK'S ORIOLE and the WILLOW FLYCATCHER were very vocal along
the boardwalk to the twin barns. The BULLOCK'S ORIOLE favored the
cottonwoods and big leaf maples while the WILLOW FLYCATCHER favored
the willows along the slough.

For the day I had 46 species and now have 100 for the year. The only
mammals I saw were COTTONTAILED RABBITS, but others saw a juvenile
COYOTE and LONG-TAILED WEASEL in the parking lot.

Until next week when Shep leads....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA