[Tweeters] Skagit Wilson's Phalarope, Common Tern

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sat May 11 17:20:44 PDT 2019

Dear Tweeters,
Although the midday sunlight today, the eleventh of May, was harsh and glaring at Hayton Reserve, it was worth risking one's corneas.
As I arrived just before noon, a flock of California Gulls was wheeling and calling over the main pond. Below them on the mudflat of the pond rested a big flock of Caspian Terns, plus at least 139 Bonaparte's Gulls. After some time, the whole flock of gulls and terns panicked and flew. Among the Bonaparte's was a lone COMMON TERN! The Bonaparte's Gulls and the Common Tern flew off, but the Caspian Terns settled back to their resting spots on the mud.
A few minutes later, I noticed a lone WILSON'S PHALAROPE foraging on the shore of the big channel, right near the hunters' shack. This bird stayed for only about twenty minutes.
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch