[Tweeters] Warning: Ruff at Crockett is a knockout

Ed Newbold ednewbold1 at yahoo.com
Sun May 5 10:01:52 PDT 2019

Hi all,
Brian Pendleton and Delia and I went up north and over to Whidbey yesterday, in the process seeing the Ruff at Crockett Lake by the Keystone Ferry landing. Anyone going up to look for this bird should be warned, it's a knockout.  Adrian Lee, who was there with his dad Larry and who spotted 8 Whimbrel in a field a mile behind the Ruff, said it was a young male, (our guide books seemed to give inconclusive info on that).
We also didn't have too much trouble finding the Lesser Yellowlegs at Wiley Slough in Conway and I got a nice comparison shot with a Greater and a Lesser posing together.  A Yellow-headed Blackbird was heard.
The White Pelicans were a huge delight at Deer Lagoon on Whidbey, what a bird that is and Brian counted 25.  There were 60 or 80 Whimbrel there also.
Black Oystercatchers and Rough-winged Swallows were great to see.
Then it was great to have a Marbled Murrelet foraging 30 feet from the Ferry in the fading light as the Captain was on the loudspeaker telling us to get back to our vehicles, which is my excuse for not getting that shot.

The shots of the very cooperative Ruff and other shots from the day are at my sightings blog, scroll past the Warblers in the creek,

https://ednewbold.com/migration-is-on-at-butyl-creek/

Ed Newbold (and Delia Scholes)
Beacon Hill Seattle  FOY Yellow Warbler at the creek this morning, 4 Warbler species so far.

Happy birding everyone!