[Tweeters] a little migrant fallout in West Seattle

edswan2 at comcast.net edswan2 at comcast.net
Fri May 3 21:57:29 PDT 2019

I had a little migrant fallout this morning in West Seattle along the edge
of the Fairmont ravine at my house. At least 15 Western Tanagers moved
along the ravine and then flew over my house away from the ravine. I had
the feeling that this movement had been going for some time so there may
have been quite a few more birds. On 6May2017 I had a similar experience
with at least 25 tanagers. At that time, several were stopping to feed at
our suet feeder. That didn't occur today. Today's tanagers were all males,
except two that looked like females but perhaps were males that hadn't
reached adult plumage yet.

I also had first of season for my yard Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Warbling
Vireo and Wilson's Warbler. Several Orange-crowned Warblers foraged along
the ravine edge but they returned earlier. Yellow-rumped Warblers have been
moving through as well and one Black-throated Gray Warbler but they weren't
present this morning.

Ed

Ed Swan

Nature writer and guide