[Tweeters] Everett Lewis's Woodpecker (not chaseable) and new birding location

Peggy Mundy peggy_busby at yahoo.com
Thu May 2 15:45:59 PDT 2019

Congratulations on the Lewis' woodpecker.  I got to spend some quality time with the one at Magnuson Park in Seattle last year.
Peggy MundyBothell
On Thursday, May 2, 2019, 3:40:45 p.m. PDT, Josh Adams <xjoshx at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello tweets,
I made a quick trip up to Everett yesterday in hopes of adding some year birds. While driving on Homeacres Road I had a flock of Whimbrel fly down river.

As I made my way towards Spencer Island I noticed an odd bird flying over my car. Kind of flew like a crow, but too small. Kind of like a flicker, but way too dark. Fortunately it decided to land in a tree right next to the road and as it landed it all clicked: Lewis's Woodpecker! This species has been my nemesis in Snohomish County for several years and I've spent a lot of time targetting them in spring and fall, so just stumbling upon one in North Everett was a bit funny. The bird only hung out for a minute before continuing east towards Spencer Island. I tried to pick it up again there, but had no luck.

I wanted to mention that after years of construction area at the North end of the Everett Sewage Plant again has some public access. As you head south along the river, keep left and take the overpass on 12th Ave NE over the freeway. You will come to a gravel parking lot. There are gravel roads around newly created tidal wetlands and also the northern most lagoon at the sewage treatment plant. The wetlands look like they'll take a little bit to naturalize and be ideal habitat, but good number of Least and Western Sandpipers seemed to be enjoying it.

Josh AdamsCathcart, WA