Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Mar 28 21:53:06 PDT 2019

Tweets – a touch of frost in shadowed areas this morning, but the day warmed quickly under mostly sunny skies. It was quite birdy early, but then got inexplicably quiet. We are transitioning from winter to spring, though we lacked any new-new-new arrivals (everything new for the Survey was seen between last Thursday and this Thursday).

Highlights:
a.. American Wigeon – one below weir with Gadwall
b.. Ring-necked Pheasant – calling, skulking, in Pea Patch
c.. Horned Grebe – one WELL out on lake
d.. Rufous Hummingbird – At least 2 females, plus displaying males – first seen for the year last Friday
e.. Great Blue Heron – two juvenile eagles caused consternation at the heronry
f.. Red-tailed Hawk – seen copulating near Rowing Club
g.. Bald Eagle – there are now TWO Bald Eagle nests (four adults) in the SE portion of the park!
h.. Western Screech-Owl – seen as late as 6:20 a.m.
i.. Five woodpecker day – Pileated seen excavating nest hole in snag in Big Cottonwood Forest
j.. Savannah Sparrow – First sightings for Thursday survey of the year, incl. one quietly singing in East Meadow
Every passerine species we saw today sang (except those passerines that don’t have a real song).

We saw a beaver near the lodge across from Dog Central. Some of the group saw a LONG-TAILED WEASEL go into a lidded bin in the Pea Patch. A rat tried to escape, screaming, and was pulled back into the bin! Also, the first garter snakes of the year, and the first Salmonberry blooms. Willows, Indian Plum, and some decorative fruit trees were also blooming. Various shrubs are leafing out.

For the day, 58 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com