[Tweeters] between '64 and '67, the only birder I knew was Black

Ed Newbold ednewbold1 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 24 11:06:21 PDT 2019

Hi All,
The story about Black Birders was excellent, and thanks so much to Glenn Nelson and Caren Park for the link!

My own experience may not be typical of most birders but for the first 3-4 years I birdwatched, the only other birder I knew was Black. I was encouraged into birding by my grandmother and helped by my parents, but none of them were at all "birders."  My mom would drive me the 40 miles down to the Tinicum Preserve, now the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge, near the Philadelphia Airport.  The resident staffer/birder there was Jim Carroll, who was from nearby Morton, a great guy and excellent birder.  He wasn't a big talker but we always caught up and I got identification tips and encouragement before we headed out around the loop. The last time I talked to Jim he was headed down to Bombay Hook with some other birders where he was anticipating picking up a few lifers.
Here's to your memory, Jim, and thank you forever!
Best wishes,
Ed Newbold