[Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co., 2018-03-21)

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Mar 21 15:29:37 PDT 2019

Tweets – the solstice edition of the survey started a little bit chilly, and there was a bit more breeze than ideal. From the Lake Platform, most birds were too backlit to identify. The Marymoor survey crew still haven’t seen a Rufous Hummingbird at the park this year. And despite seeing a Savannah Sparrow last Monday, we couldn’t find one today. That’s about it for downsides today.

Highlights:
a.. Cackling Goose – at least 1000 streamed by just before sunrise in many string flocks
b.. Wood Duck – flock of 7 seen from the Lake Platform; pair at Rowing Club
c.. Great Blue Heron - 75+ birds, with something like 65 at/near the heronry
d.. Green Heron – at Rowing Club, on our way out
e.. Cooper’s Hawk – adult with full crop flew south down the East Meadow
f.. Red-tailed Hawk – AT LEAST four adults and a juvenile
g.. Bald Eagle – birds in the air all morning; AT LEAST six adults and a juvenile
h.. Western Screech-Owl – Matt came face-to-face with one near the boardwalk predawn
i.. LONG-EARED OWL – flushed from along boardwalk as we passed by; perched about 15 yards off the boardwalk for good looks for all. First at Marymoor since 2013
j.. - Five Woodpecker Day – with a female Hairy showing up at the Rowing Club to complete the pentafecta
k.. SAY’S PHOEBE – one at the model airplane field
l.. Northern Shrike – adult in breeding splendor in East Meadow; checked carefully to rule out Loggerhead
m.. Violet-green Swallow – First of Spring for us
n.. HERMIT THRUSH – one just south of the Dog Area along slough trail
Bob & I enjoyed Venus and our Super Worm Moon shadows predawn at the Viewing Mound, while Matt was seeing the screech...

Misses included Ring-necked Duck, Rock Pigeon, Rufous Hummingbird, Virginia Rail, Savannah Sparrow, and Western Meadowlark.

For the day, though 62 species. We’re up to 90 species on the year. It was a good day.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com