[Tweeters] Fox Sparrow with foot deformity

Dee Dee deedeeknit at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 16:32:09 PDT 2019

The subject Sooty Fox Sparrow (thanks, Carol!) has been in our yard since at least January. Photos taken with my new camera allowed me to notice that it has a deformed left foot, in particular, the toes. It gets around quite well and will fly into shrubs.
I know it’s a rough life out there and many birds survive after sustaining injuries, but I also wondered if someone might know and recognize that this looks like more than an injury—perhaps a particular congenital defect or disease-caused problem.

I am posting about it in case there is anyone who keeps track of such and/or knows someone who is studying this sort of thing. Two photos (taken in early March) showing the foot are at this link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CaDsPoyzMJX9k5A87

Dee Warnock
Edmonds