[Tweeters] The Platte river

Bill Anderson billandersonbic at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 09:05:06 PDT 2019

This morning I received a report from a railroad fan in the Omaha area who photographs wildlife as well as trains.

Looks like the migration is a bit late but that is mostly due to the blizzard the week before. There is a webcam at the Rowe Sanctuary that shows many, many birds in action.

Most of the flooding is along the east end of the Platte, and the Loup and Elkhorn rivers which are east and north of the usual nesting sites. I have resisted going out due to getting in the way of the people trying to deal with this mess.

I did go up to Desoto Bend in Iowa the other day, where the eagles and snow geese are, but it was closed and had to drive about 40 miles out the way to get home from a usually 20 mile drive.

My other favorite lake just on the other side of the Missouri River, while not flooded, is still frozen. Supposed to be in the 50's the rest of this week so things should thaw a bit.

I saw this morning's Good Morning America  weather report on the internet.  More flooding is expected as the Midwest warms  up and is  hit with 3-4" of rain + melting snow from the snow pack.  Compared to the rest of the nation, we are  in a pocket of beautiful weather up in the PNW.

Bill Anderson; Edmonds, WA. USA