[Tweeters] County Yearlist Project update for Jan/Feb 2019 up at WA Birder

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 17 07:29:37 PDT 2019

Hi Tweeters & Inland-NW-Birders -

The 2019 county year list project, updated through the end of February, is up at Washington Birder. We’ve received updates from most [but not all] counties with details through the end of February. County compilers, especially for the underbirded counties, would appreciate receiving reports of any birds seen in their counties.

As of the end of February 253 species had been reported across the state, 226 species in western WA and 191 in eastern WA.
The state total [253] is 10 higher than the end-feb totals in 2018, 9 higher than 2017. This is close to our average over the last eight years for this period.
The Western WA total [226] was 14 higher than last year, seven higher than 2017, Those two years were notably low, so this year’s total is closer to the long-term norm rather than remarkably high.
The Eastern WA total [191] this year was five lower than last year and the same as 2017. Despite the snows, this is pretty much in line with the norm for eastern WA.

Overall, it looks like it was a decent start to the year — that said, it might even be an above-average start if we might be took into account the lack of reports from powerhouse Grays Harbor [and the pelagic goodness it will add to the list] — add in another seven or more birds from Grays Harbor, and we are probably looking at a pretty birdy start to the year, despite the February snows.

I’m looking forward to seeing how things shape up as our spring migrants come back/through.

If you'd like to take a look at where things stand, the list and many other interesting files are at the Washington Birder website:

http://www.wabirder.com/ <http://www.wabirder.com/>

A direct link to the 2019 county yearlist & the list of county compilers:
http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html <http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html>

Thanks to all the compilers and all those pitching in to begin to sketch a picture of another year's birds in WA.

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA