[Tweeters] Walla Walla County Bunting and Longspur

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Sat Mar 2 22:32:14 PST 2019

Hello all,

Yesterday we birded the Wallula Poop Piles - many White-crowned and
Savannah Sparrows so we spread seed along the short road between the
"piles" and watched - an AMERICAN TREE SPARROW popped up - then later a
beautiful LAPLAND LONGSPUR came in. The Savannah Sparrows were out
feeding on the piles (gut contents of cows from the slaughterhouse).

Today we stopped there but no longspur. Up Dodd Rd along a south-facing
cut bank was a Savannah Sparrow and a SAGEBRUSH SPARROW - we were
looking for this species as it is an early migrant despite the snow and
cold - very happy to see this bird.

Up on LOMO Rd just off Sheffler Rd is a stackyard where tractors had
driven in the snow enough to make good feeding area for Horned Larks -
there was a SNOW BUNTING.

Eureka Flats area has 8 - 12 inches of snow, large drifts in the roads -
most plowed at least one lane wide. Snow too deep in most areas even for
the larks - very few on the roads there. We spread seed along roads
where the Meadowlarks and Pheasants were.

On the way home on Hart Rd two Short-eared Owls were hunting a weedy cut
bank - where the snow was mostly blown off.

Doesn't look like the snow is going away any time soon - wildlife is
having a hard time except for the predators - watched an eagle take a
crow off the poop piles today.

Good Birding, M&ML

--
Mike & MerryLynn Denny
Birding the Beautiful Walla Walla Valley