[Tweeters] Whidbey Island male Rufous Hummingbird

George Heleker earthman1950 at whidbey.com
Fri Mar 1 17:23:16 PST 2019

Right after filling the hummingbird feeders on our property, while standing
by the feeder in the southeast corner of our field, we started a
conversation about when we would see our first rufous. It was my guess that
it might be awhile, given the cold February weather along the west coast.
Just as I had convinced myself of that idea, a male rufous flew in on cue
to a nearby Red Osier Dogwood just to the east of us, superbly bright red
with the low sun shining on him from the west as he perched on the bright
red stems of the Dogwood.
There is always something special about that first male rufous of the year.
Not that I ever tire of them as hummingbirds are always special.

George Heleker
Whidbey Island-2.5 miles southwest of Clinton