[Tweeters] Blue-gray Gnatcatchers continue at Fort Simcoe, Yakima County

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 27 18:53:45 PDT 2019

Hi all-
Today I started the day at Fort Simcoe in Yakima County. In addition to the enjoyable Ash-throated Flycatchers and Lewis’s Woodpeckers, I was happy to see that the Blue-gray Gnatcatcher family reported a few weeks ago is still present. After a couple hours, I found at least three Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, most or all of them looking like young ones, buzzing around. This is the 2nd successful BGGN nesting in the state, following the first in Klickitat Co this year and last [on private land] — I believe by the vocalizations, and by other people’s photos, that this is a western subspecies BGGN family.

Location: Start at the big blockhouse [not the small blockhouse closer to the parking lot as I did…] - the bigger blockhouse south of the main part of the park. Take the trail east — the family was hanging out just before where the trail meets up with the southern service road. I think this is a bit west of where they were originally reported.

Good birding,

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA