[Tweeters] Reduced numbers of birds

Bud Anderson falconresearch at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 13:50:05 PDT 2019

This is, of course, a massively complex question that can only be touched
on superficially in this type of forum.

In my limited experience with raptors, I can make the following comments.

We have never seen more Bald Eagles in nw WA as now.

At Sea-tac Airport, five pairs of Red-tailed Hawks produced 2, 2, 2, 2 and
3 young this summer, which we consider to be about normal.

Also at SEA, during the last two weeks, we have been inundated with
American Kestrels, something we have not experienced during the last 17
summer seasons and very unusual.

We have caught 29 over the last 14 days and they are still arriving!
Another 5 have been struck and today I am seeing an additional 8 flying
around, so a minimum of 42 falcons. Kind of amazing to me.

And I don't think Ed Deal will mind me quoting him here, but he is telling
me that he has a record number of Coopers Hawks this year in Seattle.

Peregines everywhere now.

So not sure I could support lower raptor numbers with what I am seeing.

Swallows are a different story. I have been watching their numbers decline
for several years now. Deeply saddening but we all need to get used to such
things.

Are there any swallow people out there that can enlighten us all about what
is being seen in general?