[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagles Pride Golf Course monthly bird walk - 7-18-2019

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Thu Jul 18 19:33:45 PDT 2019

Tweeters,

Brrrr at the start (53degF with a wee Scottish mist, which thankfully cleared up soon after we stepped out) but ending at 70degF with most of us shedding outer layers by the walk's midpoint. No doldrums today for the 15 of us who toured the route. Highlights included 16 WOOD DUCKS; an OSPREY; 5 RED-TAILED HAWKS, including what we believe were two fledglings from the Hodge Lake nest; a nice selection both in variety and numbers of flycatchers (OLIVE-SIDED, WILLOW, and PACIFIC-SLOPE, with WESTERN WOOD PEWEES salted in); 38 BUSHTITS in four separate flocks; 6 BROWN CREEPERS; HOUSE WRENS; and 20 SWAINSON'S THRUSHES. We thought we were going to strike out on warblers, but managed to score one each of YELLOW, BLACK-THROATED GRAY, and WILSON'S. The topper for some of us, including one birder who'd not ever had a good view of one, was the last bird counted today: a male WESTERN TANAGER that was feeding about 5 feet off the ground in a Douglas-fir right next to the parking lot. Great views for several minutes. Another fine day!

On August 15, bird walk participants will have a special treat. Scott Markowitz will give a bird-banding demonstration somewhere during the middle of the walk and will be available to answer questions about the project on which he and others are working. The Tahoma Audubon Society has entered into a partnership with JBLM for a multiyear research project that entails banding birds at Eagles Pride.

The JBLM Eagles Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM. Starting point is Bldg # 1514, Driving Range Tee, Eagles Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. Upcoming walks include the following:

* August 15 (including banding demo and project info)

* September 19

* October 17

Anyone is welcome to join us!

>From the eBird report:

41 species (+1 other taxa)

Wood Duck 16 All at Hodge Lake

Mallard 6

Pied-billed Grebe 1 Hodge Lake

Mourning Dove 1

Anna's Hummingbird 3

Rufous Hummingbird 1

Osprey 1

Red-tailed Hawk 5 The two young birds were giving "begging" calls.

Downy Woodpecker 2

Northern Flicker 11

Olive-sided Flycatcher 2

Western Wood-Pewee 7