[Tweeters] Juvenile Cooper's Hawk in my yard

byers345 at comcast.net byers345 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 17 17:40:25 PDT 2019

Hi Tweeters,

Every once in a while an accipiter comes to visit us. It's
usually a Cooper's Hawk and that's what we had today (I think). I thought
this one was interesting because it is molting into an adult bird. One
picture shows the back of the bird with two tail feathers growing in. The
shots of the breast show a combination of juvenile dark brown,
teardrop-shaped feathers and the rufous and white bands of the adult. The
first four pictures are of this new bird, the remainder of a hawk I shared
pictures of last fall. All photos are those of husband Bill.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29258421@N07/albums/72157702252213375

Happy birding, Charlotte Byers, Edmonds