[Tweeters] Mirrorless Cameras

Glenn Nelson gnbuzz at comcast.net
Wed Jul 17 14:56:03 PDT 2019

Hi Tweets,

No matter what anyone says, equipment does not make the photographer. We
all see examples every day of superior images being captured by
supposedly "inferior" equipment.

I use Nikon equipment, but I'm not going offer the usual tribal
narrative. Each brand has its strengths and weaknesses, and appeals
according to personal preference. I will simply tell you my experience.

First off, I always have two bodies, the second being kind of a "back
up." I know everyone does not have that luxury or makes that choice, so
that's the bias for me. I have Nikon's top body, the D850, and I sold my
second, a D750, and bought a mirrorless, the Z6 (choosing its faster
frames-per-second over the Z7's larger files; already having the D850
made that an easy decision).

Like others, I have a lot of money invested in Nikon (or whatever brand)
lenses, but the transition to mirrorless is made seamless by the adapter
that Nikon used to and still may include with the Z bodies. So, yes, I
use my nice (bigger) Nikon lenses with the mirrorless and still find a
considerable advantage in weight loss and maneuverability.

The other advantage(s) over the D850 (which is hard to do because the
D850 has almost every technical development): the electronic viewfinder
may seem like a difficult adjustment until you consider that what you
seen in the viewfinder is how your ultimate file will look. Once you
become accustomed to that fact, and remember it, it makes it easier to
make on-the-fly decisions in the field about exposure. Others may not
have an articulating, touch-sensitive LCD screen on their DSLRs, though
I do on the D850 and even my previous DSLR backup. I think they are game
changers, so if that's one of the differences between your DSLR and a
mirrorless you're considering, mark it as a major advantage.

If I had to get by on just the Z6, I would be fairly happy and consider
myself ahead of where I was 3-5 years ago. My friend Rod Mar, the
Seahawks' official photographer who is considered one of the best sports
photographers in the world, routinely uses a Z6.

However ... I cannot deny that the D850 is far more responsive
(focusing, though slightly fewer fps) and its far larger file sizes
extend your reach because you can crop and not lose much detail. If I
was going out for an "important" shoot and could carry only one body,
I'd pick the D850 every time. Of course, the D850 is more expensive and
should be better. No matter what anyone says, you get what you pay for.

That all said, it feels optimal to carry the D850 attached to a long
lens on a tripod and have the Z6 with a smaller lens slung on my
shoulder. You hardly notice. My conclusion is: It depends -- on what
you're shooting, your budget, your other idiosyncrasies and needs. But
overall the mirrorless bodies hold their own and, in the hands of a
superior photographer, will make superior images.

Best,
Glenn Nelson
Seattle