[Tweeters] Subject: Re: Bufflehead or Barrow's Goldeneye chick

Dee Dee deedeeknit at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 1 13:50:45 PDT 2019

Quick look at pics on Cornell Lab site ID Info page for Barrow’s Goldeneye, compared to pics of ducklings of the Common Goldeneye or Common Merganser, convinces me it’s a Barrow’s. Couldn’t find pics of Harlequin ducklings...guess they are more camera shy....
I enjoyed seeing some with their mom on a small river up in the Cascades many years ago, but alas, no camera and it was Very Loong Ago so I can’t rely on memory for their exact appearance; in any case, the little one in your picture sure matches the Barrow’s pics I saw.

Dee Warnock
Edmonds