Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 28 15:29:25 PST 2019

Tweets -
Brian Bell & I subbed for Michael today, and had a good day at Marymoor —
It was cold to begin with 26 degrees at 7:00 - but blue skies and sunny ! And by the end it was even not too cold. Birds were showing signs of enjoying the sunshine as well - lots of singing and some frolicking in pairs [or 3-somes].

Highlights:
Red-breasted Sapsucker - first of year — we almost made it 2 months without one, so nice to finally get looks
Also had 2 Pileated, 3 Hairy, several Downy & many Northern Flickers — for a 5 woodpecker day
Green Heron - looking remarkably green in the bright sunlight, a little south of the usual beaver lodge perch
Wilson’s Snipe - seven or so along the slough below the weir - decent looks at several
Lincoln’s Sparrow - only our second sighting this year
Ring-necked Pheasant - back in the Pea Patch after a month’s absence
Much singing from sparrows, Purple Finch, both kinglets, others.
Notable misses:
Owls - despite a couple hours in good clear weather before dawn
Ring-necked Duck
Virginia Rail
gulls other than Ring-billed
American Goldfinch
Western Meadowlark
Mammals included just bunny & squirrel - I think this is the first week this year we’ve missed River Otter

For the day, we found 56 species.

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA