[Tweeters] odd duck at Hayton Reserve (hybrid?)

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 19:58:55 PST 2019

Dear Tweeters,
Today (18th inst.) there was an odd duck at Hayton Reserve in Skagit County. Mike Nelson, Jeff Osmundson and I observed it for a while. It stayed with a few American Wigeon for some of the time, but also paddled around by itself. I think I saw this bird here last fall. I remember joking with some European birders about it--they said, "Oh, look, a White-cheeked Pintail!"
This bird has white cheek patches. There are odd, arrow-shaped, dark markings on the brown sides. The bill is delicate, with a pinkish base. My eBird checklist for today has a few of the poor photos that I took at long range. Opinions as to what this bird might be would be most welcome.
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch