[Tweeters] kinglet (Seattle)

pan panmail at mailfence.com
Sun Feb 10 17:59:51 PST 2019

Hi, Tweets,

I was walking in Seattle's Volunteer Park this afternoon (on my way to enjoying a break inside the tropics of the conservatory), and a couple birds were on the snowy road picking through fallen debris from a conifer above. The junco wasn't surprising, but the other was a Golden-crowned Kinglet. It was flitting weakly from cone to cone scale to squirrel-cleaned cone, pecking but seeming to find nothing. It wasn't paying much attention to passers-by, but still managing to stay clear. I would have thought their usual foraging surfaces are still mostly available, so was surprised to see one seeming to be struggling. Another a few blocks away seemed to be foraging normally.

Stay warm.

10 February, 2019,

Alan Grenon
Seattle