[Tweeters] Skagit Gyrfalcon and other birds

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 9 19:33:59 PST 2019

Dear Tweeters,
A friend of mine saw the Gyfalcon on Fir Island today (February 9th), between Rawlins and Maupin Roads, shortly after ten in the morning.
I saw what I think was the same bird, about two hours later, as I was scoping gulls from the north tip of March Point. This adult was doing pretty much the same thing that a Gyrfalcon was doing, the last time I saw one at March Point, which was in 1996: flying northwards, low over the waves, toward Hat Island. Today's bird had what looked like a Dunlin in its talons.
Also at March Point was an adult Herring Gull and an adult Western Gull, both on the Fidalgo Bay side, which was much calmer than the Padilla Bay side.
Amongst the Short-eared Owls today at the Samish East Ninety was a Barn Owl.
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch