[Tweeters] Redondo Beach Eared Grebe(s)

Hans-Joachim Feddern thefedderns at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 23:00:18 PST 2019

We took a cold walk on the Redondo Beach boardwalk yesterday afternoon,
Feb.7th. The Eared Grebe I previously reported, is still in the vicinity
of S.287th Street. An additional Eared Grebe was north of Salty's and
before the end of the walkway. Also at the northern end of the walk, is a
dark-mantled gull with black primaries, pink legs, It can be found on the
large beached rootball/stump. Somebody last winter posted it as a possible
Slaty-backed Gull, but to me it looks like an adult Western Gull or maybe a
hybrid? I would appreciate, if somebody could take a closer look at it and
post it.
Also seen at Redondo: Horned - and Red-necked Grebes, Pigeon Guillemot,
Barrows- and Common Goldeneye, Surf Scoter, Bufflehead, American Wigeon,
Common - and Red-breasted Merganser, Great Blue Heron, Killdeer,
Glaucous-winged - and Mew Gull, Killdeer, Pelagic Cormorant and a few (!)
Rock Pigeons!

Good Birding

Hans

--