[Tweeters] nyt article on hummingbirds

rwlawson at q.com rwlawson at q.com
Fri Feb 8 12:54:56 PST 2019

Here is a wonderful poem about hummingbirds by D. H. Lawrence. He lived in New Mexico in the 1920s, and must have seen hummingbirds there. The last stanza is relevant to Dave’s comment.

Rachel Lawson

Seattle

rwlawson at q.com <mailto:rwlawson at q.com>

Humming-Bird

by D.H. Lawrence <https://www.poetsgraves.co.uk/lawrence.htm>

I can imagine, in some otherworld

Primeval-dumb, far back

In that most awful stillness, that only gasped and hummed,

Humming-birds raced down the avenues.

Before anything had a soul,

While life was a heave of Matter, half inanimate,

This little bit chipped off in brilliance

And went whizzing through the slow, vast, succulent stems.

I believe there were no flowers, then,

In the world where the humming-bird flashed ahead of creation.

I believe he pierced the slow vegetable veins with his long beak.

Probably he was big

As mosses, and little lizards, they say were once big.

Probably he was a jabbing, terrifying monster.

We look at him through the wrong end of the long telescope of Time,

Luckily for us.