Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Feb 7 19:55:51 PST 2019

Tweets – What a difference a week makes. Last week was spring, this week was the deepest depths of winter. Temps were in the upper teens to start, but with the sun and lack of wind, it did warm up to about the freeze by the time we were done. It was a gorgeous day, and very birdy.

Highlights:
a.. DUCKS, DUCKS, DUCKS -
a.. Wood Duck – at least 7
b.. Gadwall ~40
c.. American Wigeon ~20 – First of Year (FOY)
d.. Mallard – 35?
e.. NORTHERN PINTAIL – 5 males below weir – great looks – FOY
f.. Green-winged Teal ~35
g.. Ring-necked Duck – male and 1-2 females – FOY
h.. Lesser Scaup – 2 females seen pre-dawn – FOY
i.. Bufflehead – maybe 20
j.. Common Goldeneye – 3-4
k.. Hooded Merganser ~14
l.. Common Merganser ~8
b.. Wilson’s Snipe – 3-4 below weir
c.. California Gull – FOY
d.. Sharp-shinned Hawk – adult at Rowing Club – FOY
e.. Cooper’s Hawk – adult at Pea Patch
f.. WOODPECKERS – the same 4 species (Downy, Hairy, Pileated, Northern Flicker) that we’ve had every week for the last 8 weeks, and 10 of the last 12 weeks
g.. HERMIT THRUSH – one near windmill – FOY
h.. Varied Thrush - 2+ near mansion – FOY
i.. SPARROWS, SPARROWS, SPARROWS (no unusual species, but high counts)
a.. Spotted Towhee - 30+
b.. Fox Sparrow – 40+ (easier to see than usual in the snow)
c.. Song Sparrow - 50+
d.. LINCOLN’S SPARROW – 1 below weir – FOY
e.. White-crowned Sparrow – only 6 or so
f.. Golden-crowned Sparrow – maybe 12-20
g.. Dark-eyed Junco – 50+
j.. Western Meadowlark – one on slough edge below weir, flew to Madrona tree
k.. Yellow-rumped Warbler – 1-2 at Rowing Club
It’s very clear that frozen water and fields in the Sammamish and Snohomish valleys have pushed ducks down to Lake Sammamish and the slough!

A late scan of the lake added HORNED GREBE, a very distant LOON, MEW GULL, and the RIVER OTTERS we’ve seen every week this year so far. Also, an most interesting, was a AMERICAN x EURASIAN HYBRID WIGEON, something never noted at Marymoor before, to my knowledge. The head was rufous with a buffy forehead like a Eurasian Wigeon, but the body was not gray, but rather brownish like that of an American Wigeon.

Some birds were singing, despite the cold. These included Anna’s Hummingbird, Black-capped Chickadee, Bewick’s Wren, House Finch, Purple Finch, Pine Siskin, Dark-eyed Junco, and Red-winged Blackbird. Spring is still happening, an a frozen way.

Misses included Virginia Rail, Ring-billed Gull, Northern Shrike, Bushtit, and Marsh Wren.

For the day, 63 species + the wigeon hybrid. For the year, adding 9 species, we’re up to at least 79 species.