[Tweeters] Varied thrush in Ballard Lower Sunset Hill

Matt Dufort matt.dufort at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 16:28:35 PST 2019

Sharon et al.,

I think it's likely that these sightings relate to the recent snow in the
mountains. In my experience, Varied Thrushes will spend early winter
fairly high up in the foothills, but snow accumulation seems to push them
down into the lowlands. The storms over the last week likely made the
higher elevations uninhabitable for them, leading to an increase in numbers
around Puget Sound.

It would be interesting to look at numbers of them on the Puget Sound CBCs
in years with and without heavy snow before the count period. Or to look
at eBird reports before and after the first heavy snows of the year.

Good birding,

Matt Dufort
Seattle