birdmarymoor at gmail.com birdmarymoor at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 14:24:25 PST 2019

Tweets – We were really lucky that yesterday’s walk preceded the rain we’ve been getting since. Amazingly, we had no rain at all on Thursday morning, and it was a really nice day with partial sun and warm temperatures until soon after we left. Apres moi, le delulge.

Highlights:
a.. Wood Duck – 4+ at the lake, after four week absence
b.. Green Heron – on the beaver lodge AGAIN
c.. Sharp-shinned Hawk – one atop large cottonwood at the Rowing Club
d.. Barn Owl – two flying the East Meadow as late as about 7:20. Many great looks
e.. Western Screech-Owl – Matt saw one between the East Meadow and the east end of the boardwalk
f.. Short-eared Owl – one flying north of Fields 7-8-9 just before 8 a.m., pursued by crows
g.. RED-BREASTED x RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER – one near start of boardwalk
h.. PEREGRINE FALCON – beautiful adult strafed the Wilson’s Snipes below the weir, then landed in a tree
i.. Northern Shrike – juvenile east of East Meadow again
The hybrid SAPSUCKER was a real treat, with plumage characteristics of both species. The head was pretty much entirely red, though there was a distinctly large area of black-and-white striping running up the nape. The chin and throat were red, but the red did not extend far down the breast, and there were broad black and white lines below the breast. It was calling from just a little north of the west end of the boardwalk. We saw a similar hybrid twice last fall (Oct/Nov 2018), and have had three earlier sightings of obvious hybrids.

Misses today included Ring-necked Duck, Common Merganser, Bushtit, Purple Finch, American Goldfinch, and Lincoln’s Sparrow. Matt had one flyover HOUSE FINCH, or we would have been skunked on them too. We did have two sightings of small flock(s) of PINE SISKIN, but very few. NOT A GOOD FINCH YEAR!

Despite the misses, we still managed 60 species, a great total for mid-December!

= Michael Hobbs
= www.marymoor.org
= birdmarymoor at gmail.com