[Tweeters] NIsqually NWR 12/11/19

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 16:20:23 PST 2019

Tweets,

Today 20 of us had a mostly dry, chilly walk at Nisqually. It started
in the mid 40s, but was damp with intermittent light drizzle.

The pond levels continues to rise and we had good numbers of
waterfowl. We had a 13.3 high tide at 3:56 so there was lots of mud
out in the estuary when we got there.

Highlights included a couple of BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, and an
intergrade AMERICAN x EURASIAN WIGEON seen near the start of the
estuary boardwalk.

We had a pretty good day for raptors with a pair of PEREGRINE FALCONS
roosting much of the day in a snag out in the restoration area. There
were about 10 BALD EAGLES on the refuge and we also saw RED-TAILED
HAWKS and NORTHERN HARRIERS.

Passerines were limited by the weather but we saw both KINGLETS, BROWN
CREEPER, BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE. Woodpeckers seen included FLICKER,
DOWNY WOODPECKER and RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER.

For the day I had 42 species and am still on 131 for the year. Mammals
seen included GRAY SQUIRREL and COYOTE.

Until next week......

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com