[Tweeters] Pacific Loons as far as the eye could see

Becky Galloway beckyg.sea at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 15:23:19 PST 2019

I took a small cruiser out of Edmonds with Sarah Peden and Marcia Kamin Monday afternoon. We buzzed over to the southern tip of Whidbey to enjoy a nice assortment: Black Scoters as well as Surfs; Horned and Western Grebes, Harlequins, Common and Red-Throated Loons — Sarah submitted an eBird report.

Coming back we saw a large group of Brant feeding and loafing next to a yummy tidal rip of various vegetation. We were delighted as we three love Brant and there seemed to be great numbers of the birds. But as we slowly continued back towards Edmonds, we realized we were actually in a vast flotilla of Pacific Loons, hundreds and hundreds, in all directions. Sarah submitted a count of 500 but we all thought it likely double that. Where had they all come from? We had been thru that space not 40 minutes earlier. On a very cold, damp day I was transfixed by this experience. Wintery wonderland indeed.

-Rebecca

Sent from my iPhone