[Tweeters] Merlin and Raven day (and a bit of movie review), King Cty. lowlands

pan panmail at mailfence.com
Tue Dec 3 23:10:46 PST 2019

Hi, Tweets,

This morning on Capitol Hill (Seattle), I was surprised to hear then see a couple of ravens flying north overhead, crows complaining. A bit later, a falcon zipped over the house, most likely Merlin.

I spent the rest of the morning exploring the Bellevue Botanical Garden, where I saw another Merlin, and a Raven passed overhead. A quiet sapsucker was cool.

Then at Green Lake, out the window from the showers before swimming, I saw a Merlin fly over the building carrying apparent prey. Later, an immature Snow Goose was grazing with the Canadas. I didn't find any obvious Eurasians among the wigeon, though one female seemed a possible candidate.

The movie: I saw "The Aeronauts" this evening. Micro-spoiler alert: if you're going to see it, maybe come back and read this afterward.

Other analysis aside, they got the bird facts completely wrong, which of course took me completely out of the story. The respiratory systems of birds are superior to mammals' in extracting oxygen from air. Birds can actively fly at low air pressures that make mammals comatose. They migrate over the Himalayas, where humans require supplemental oxygen just to remain upright.

3 December, 2019,

Alan Grenon
Seattle