[Tweeters] NIsqually NWR 4/17/19

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 15:21:07 PDT 2019

Tweets,

Today 25 of us enjoyed a great walk at Nisqually. It was overcast and
cool at the start but warmed up later in the day. We did find some
interesting birds. We had a 2.5 low tide at 11:16 so lots of mud in
the reclamation area.

Several FOY birds were seen including a CASSIN'S VIREO Shep found just
outside the visitor center. Other firsts included CASPIAN TERN and
PIED-BILLED GREBE. There was a WHIMBREL reported at the Nisqually
overlook but when I got there I saw a GREATER YELLOWLEGS. Don't know
if it was mistaken identity or if the WHIMBREL had moved on.

Another interesting find was a female RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD working on a
nest in the brush along the boardwalk heading out toward the twin
barns. Another nest was reported near the beaver dam.

Out inside the estuary dike we had 3 male EURASIAN WIGEON and at least
one female. Most I've seen at one time. The PIED-BILLED GREBE was in
the same general area.

There were 3 CASPIAN TERNS working McAllister Creek along with MEW and
RINGED-BILLED GULLS.

For the day I had 46 species and now have 84 for the year. Mammals
seen were COTTONTAILED RABBIT and EASTERN GRAY SQUIRREL.

Until next week when Shep will lead....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA