[Tweeters] LPO March

Mike M strix.nebulosa1987 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 20:52:19 PDT 2019

It has been a slow start to spring on the Little Pend Oreille National Wildlife Refuge.

We have seen the following species in the month of March. A group that was mostly missed is waterfowl. With record cold and record snow the first half of the month we still have not melted out most ponds and lakes. The last week or two things are starting to pick up for migrants with several of the species on this list showing up in the last 10 days. In addition to migratory birds we have seen the first chipmunks and marmots emerge from hibernation last week and I saw the first Columbian ground squirrel yesterday. It will be on the April list but Yellow-headed Blackbirds were seen this morning.

Mike

Canada Goose

Mallard

Common Goldeneye