[Tweeters] Vashon Island Pectoral Sandpipers

Ed Swan EdSwan2 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 29 20:49:12 PDT 2018

If you're looking for an excuse for a quick weekend ferry ride and some
birding on Vashon, you might want to check out Fisher Pond in the middle of
the Island. Yesterday I was guiding some visitors from Minneapolis and
found four Pectoral Sandpipers at Fisher Pond. Pectoral Sandpipers are only
seen on the Island every other year or so and I was happy to see these birds
feeding actively in the afternoon sunshine. The pond dries up to a great
extent over the summer so that only a few water spots remain. Male Wood
Ducks in various stages of eclipse plumage put on a pretty good show and a
dozen or more each American Wigeon and Green-winged Teal wallowed in the
mud.

The other attraction yesterday centered around the ferry dock. After a
short summer break, all three cormorant species are back for comparison on
the pilings as one pulls in to the dock, perched a few feet away at eye
level. At the restaurant parking lot at the base of the dock, Harlequin
Duck returned recently as well and a Spotted Sandpiper explored the
shoreline just north of the dock.

We totaled a little over 50 species after a few hours.

Good birding,

Ed

Ed Swan

Nature writer and guide