[Tweeters] Northern flickers

Christine Southwick clsouth at uw.edu
Tue Sep 25 09:16:36 PDT 2018

Marcia,

In all probability, the female is teaching her hatch-year offspring how to glean suet.

I have watched this happen at feeders at two different houses. One time, a female was teaching two youngsters; the female youngster "got it" about the third time of food exchange, and could do it on her own. The young male hadn't mastered it yet, when I finally had to leave.

Christine Southwick
clsouthwick at q.com
N Seattle/Shoreline