[Tweeters] Cowlitz County BROAD-WINGED HAWK and TVs

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 15:35:04 PDT 2018

Tweeters,

'Tis raptor migration season again so I headed up to the north end of
Woodland Bottoms in Cowlitz County (accessed via turning west on Dike
Access Road off of I-5 and turning right at the end of the road).

I counted birds (mostly TVs) from 10:00-2:15 with the following results:

BROAD-WINGED HAWK: 1 - with a group of 3 TVs. Small buteo with fairly
short tail, relatively fast flap, fairly short rounded wings. Immature.

Turkey Vulture: 272 (exact count with largest kettle of 62 birds)
Osprey: 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk: 5
Cooper's Hawk: 2
Red-tailed Hawk: 10 (approximate since they were just flying all over with
no apparent movement south)
American Kestrel: 4 (I think all local birds)

Approximately 275 Vaux's Swift. They were streaming by all the time. Each
time I looked through the scope at the TVs, swifts would be flying by.

Steller's Jay: about 45 which were moving south along the ridge line.

This spot is definitely worth a visit during raptor migration season!
Bring a scope.

Keep your eyes and ears skyward.

Jim
--