[Tweeters] Palm Warbler at Boeing Ponds, Kent

Jim Flynn merlinmania at comcast.net
Mon Sep 24 11:01:35 PDT 2018

Hi Tweets,

I saw a Palm Warbler at the Boeing Ponds in Kent this morning, around 9:15. It was in the willows along the east side of the ponds, just before the end of the cul-de-sac of the closed road. It foraged low and was with some Yellow-rumped Warblers and an Orange-crowned Warbler.

Overall, the ponds continue slow for waterfowl but there are a few passerine migrants to be found, although I have yet to see a big wave of them.

FWIW, here is the Palm Warbler info from my eBird report:

"Body shape and bill size quite a bit like Orange-crowned Warbler. Olive-brown above, paler underneath. Well-defined dark line through eye and paler supercilium. Rump with slight greenish tinge; appeared to have white spots in tail when it flew, though this was seen very briefly. Undertail coverts light yellow, tail pumped downwards very strongly and repeatedly with nice fluid motion. Foraged low in willows (up to about 10 ft.) and loosely associated with Yellow-rumped Warblers and an Orange-crowned Warbler. Seen from about 20 feet away, two times over a ten-minute period for a total of about one minute observation time. Used the willows on the east side of the ponds, near the end of the cul-de-sac."

good birding,

Jim Flynn
Seattle, WA