[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR Wednesday Walk for 9/19/2018

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 12:08:56 PDT 2018

Hi Tweets,

approximately 30 of us enjoyed a beautiful fall like morning at Nisqually
with crisp cool temperatures in the 40's and plenty of sunshine. There was
a Low 1.45ft Tide at 8:21am and a High 12.33ft Tide at 4:07pm. Highlights
included many first of season CACKLING GOOSE, GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET,
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, FOX SPARROW and GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW. We also had
great looks at 20 plus EVENING GROSBEAKS stopping in for a meal and the
WHIMBREL continues out on the Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail.

Another note to folks planning to visit, the Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk
Trail will be intermittently closed depending on the tides over the next 6
weeks. Piles are being placed along a north tributary off the Shannon
Slough between the Observation Tower and Photo Blind for a new longer
bridge to replace the current bridge. The tributary is deep and widening
as it drains a large central area of the mud flats. The current bridge
expanse of 40 feet is not long enough to cross the natural widening of this
channel. A longer bridge of 90 feet will be placed most likely in July of
2019.

Starting out at 8am at the Visitor Center Pond Overlook, we had nice looks
of MALLARD, WOOD DUCK, CINNAMON TEAL, NORTHERN FLICKER, BLACK-CAPPED
CHICKADEE, CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE and SONG SPARROW.

The Orchard was good for good variety of species as we observed CALIFORNIA
SCRUBJAY, DOWNY/HAIRY/PILEATED WOODPECKER, RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER,
BAND-TAILED PIGEON, ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD, BEWICKS WREN and SPOTTED TOWHEE.
We also observed our FOS GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW. COMMON YELLOWTHROAT was
heard.

The open Access Road running west from across the orchard along the field
south and riparian stand north was good for FOS CACKLING GOOSE and
GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET. A young fresh WESTERN WOOD PEWEE was observed
sallying for insects in the cotton wood stand. Where the Access Road turns
north we had a large flock of EVENING GROSBEAKS, 20 plus birds, and
BUSHTITS. Along the Access Road in small trees and bramble we observed
SAVANNAH SPARROW, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, and CEDAR WAXWING. Across the
fields we have regularly seen young Coyote foraging and playing. NORTHERN
HARRIER, and RED-TAILED HAWK was observed hunting. Predominantly BARN
SWALLOW and VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW or white bellied swallows (possible Tree
Swallows) were observed overhead. Along with a fly over of two RED
CROSSBILL and RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD.

The west entrance to the Twin Barns Loop Trail was good for HOODED
MERGANSER, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, BROWN CREEPER and additional
Golden-crowned Kinglet. A RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET was observed at the Twin
Barns cut-off. I needed to turn back, but received excellent reports from
other bird watchers who continued onward.

The Nisqually Estuary Trail was good for GREAT BLUE HERON, BALD EAGLE,
AMERICAN KESTREL, GADWALL, additional Mallard, RING-BILLED GULL, and
WESTERN MEADOWLARK.

Out on the Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail, the WHIMBREL and BONAPARTE'S
GULL remain. The group also had nice looks at DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT,
GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL, WESTERN X GLAUCOUS-WINGED HYBRID, CALIFORNIA GULL,
CASPIAN TERN, GREATER YELLOWLEGS, LEAST SANDPIPER, WESTERN SANDPIPER,
SEMI-PALMATED PLOVER, BELTED KINGFISHER, and COMMON RAVEN. BRANDT
CORMORANT can be scoped from the Puget Sound Viewing Platform at the end of
the board walk on the Nisqually River Channel Marker.

We had 62 species for the day, with 155 species for the year. Mammals seen
included Eastern Cotton-tailed Rabbit, Long-tailed Weasel, Coyote and
Harbor Seal. Others include Pacific Tree Frog, Bullfrog, and Red-eared
Slider.

Until next week when we meet again, good birding!

Shep Thorp
--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point